What items can be farmed fully automatically?
Cacti have always been farmable completely automatically. With pistons in 1.7, sugar cane can now be farmed in a fully automatic fashion as well. Mobs and animals can be farmed as well in giant mob grinders. To my knowledge these are the only items that can be farmed in a fully automatic fashion in vanilla Minecraft.
Cobblestone can be farmed fully automatically using mods, or in a semi-automatic fashion using TNT. Wheat can be farmed semi-automatically on a massive scale, but unfortunately requires replanting and tilling.
What I’d like to know is if there are any contraptions people have contrived to harvest any other item in a fully automatic way without using any mods.
6 Solutions collect form web for “What items can be farmed fully automatically?”
Aside from the things you mentioned:
Fully Automatic (no need for player’s presence):
As long as you keep the chunk loaded, you can go on an adventure while your farm is producing
- Cooked Food – raw food is easily collected with vanilla mobtraps, this trap cooks the meat too! This one uses pig spawners, but just modify your vanilla trap to kill with this method to harvest cooked instead of raw meat from all mobs. However (February 2017) the only way to FULLY automatically get fuel for the ovens is via a witch farm (sorting out wooden sticks). It is very ineficient.
- Melons & Pumpkins can be farmed using BUDs.
- Mushrooms are easily farmed, since they spread by themselves.
- Eggs can be farmed
- Snow with snowmen (though the most common and most efficient way is AFK)
- Wheat can be fully automatic using a farmer villager
- Bread with farmer villagers
- Cacti &Sugar cane
- Iron ingots
- Gold nuggets
- Steak, Raw Beef, Leather (if you are lucky enough to find a mushroom island)
- Cobblestone with Wither or Ghast
- Cooked Chicken, Raw Chicken, Feathers
- Redstone, Gunpowder, Glowstone Dust, Sugar, Wooden Sticks with a witch farm
- Slime Balls
- Sand & Gravel Duplicators and Flint (actually a bug, but still possible)
- Carrots and Raw Potatoes with farmer villagers
- String, Spider Eyes
- Bones, arrows, bows
- Rotten flesh
- Seeds and any kind of 1 block flower
- Ender pearls
- Any kind of potion
- Prismarine cristal
- Magma cream
- Ghast tears
You may need to jam the click button, and you wont be able to play while harvesting
- Any experience farm
- Wooden logs (any type)
- Tree saplings (any type)
- Fish, Name tags
- Blaze Rods (the semi-auto way is way more efficient)
- Any kind of 2 block tall flower
- Animal breeding farm
- Prismarine shard
- Dragons Breath
Semi-automatic (require player’s interaction):
Interaction: precise killing, replanting, mining, redstone input, etc
- Records can be farmed (semi-automatically), with this ingenious contraption.
- Cocoa beans
- Nether Wart
- Ice with a BUD to detect the freezing water (not sure if withers can destroy ice)
- Stone (needs silktouch pickaxe)
- Any Type of Wooden Planks just craft the output of the log farm
- Glass and Panes (smelt and craft the output of the sand duplicator)
- Flint and Steel (craft the outputs of the Iron farm and the gravel duplicator)
- Mushroom Blocks
- Grass and Mycelium (although it is not technically infinite, it is practically infinite)
- Emeralds trading the output of another farm if you get a perfect villager
- Full diamond toolkit and armor trading emeralds with a blacksmith villager
- Mob heads except wither skeleton (with a charged creeper farm)
- Slime Blocks crafting the output of the slime farm
- Chorus Plants
I’ll continue to think about this, let me know if there’s anything to be added.
Should you know any missing item, feel free to edit this answer and expand the list right away!
The lists above are excellent!
But, this question was asked before Minecraft 1.8 so a few things have changed.
Now you can use Villager Farmers to automatically harvest and replant Carrots, and Potatoes, and Wheat. You can also automatically collect the Bread that Villager Farmers make with the wheat.
Another source of automated carrots and potatoes are from zombie mob grinders.
You can fully automate Pumpkins and Sugar Cane, but not melons. Any automation will break them into Melon Slices. So Melon Slices can be fully automated.
Villagers can also be farmed. Because you can have them automatically shipped away from the village and stored somewhere else so that more can breed. I manually do this right now but am building an automated system.
I’ve built a minecraft world that fully automates most almost everything I can think of. I made a video tour of this world that you see at:
After a little more than a hour looking up things and figuring out stuff, I think I have a list of all items you can make farms for. (Only the automatic farms.)Here is the list and hope this helps.
- Cacti – Cacti farm.
- Sugar Cane – Sugar Cane farm.
- Mushrooms – Mushroom farm.
- Iron – Iron golem farm.
- Roses – Iron Golem farm.
- Eggs – Chicken farm.
- Bones – Skeleton farm.
- String – Spider farm.
- Rotten Flesh – Zombie farm.
- Blaze Rod – Blaze farm.
- Ghast Tears – Ghast farm.
- Sticks – Witch farm.
- Glass Bottles – Witch farm.
- Glowstone Dust – Witch farm.
- Redstone Dust – Witch farm.
- Sugar – Witch farm.
- Gunpowder – Creeper/Witch farm.
- Ender Pearl – Enderman farm.
- Magma Cream – Magma Cube farm.
- Gold Nugget – Zombie Pigman farm.
- Slime Ball – Slime farm.
(please write a comment if I missed anything.)
I’ve built a 11×11 tower with a hopper floor, which feeds into a trap chest. The trap chest activates pumpkin and sugar cane farms. Chickens on the hopper level drop eggs, above that is a squid farm creating ink sacs, above that is a cactus farm, and above that is a zombie/creeper/skeleton farm that spawns them and pushes them out, they drop all the way past the farms onto the hopper floor and die. It’s almost fully automatic, if not for the trap chest mechanism. Eggs, reeds, pumpkin, ink, cactus, potatoes, bones, arrows, rotten flesh and sulphur are constantly filling my chests.
Cobble can be farmed through withers, don’t forget that.
Feathers can be farmed through a cooked chicken farm.
Ink Sacs can also be farmed
That’s all I can think of at the moment for autos that wasn’t already mentioned by previous people.
I have just completed a fully automatic raw chicken and feather farm, it gives me 4 to 5 stacks of raw chicken for trading with the 4 butchers in a nearby village. the big problem is what to do with all the feathers!!!
I based it on a well tried piston killing method, with all the drops collected and moved by hoppers with the addition of a sorter at the end of the row of hoppers, the eggs are lifted straight back up to the top with a droppervator into a row of hoppers which carry them back to the dispenser at the head of the row of hoppers, when the last hopper is full, the comparator next to the last one signals through a home made signal-to -pulse converter to kill all the birds, then after the pistons retract the signal goes to the front of the farm to start the reloading, simultaneously locking the hopper run, once the dispenser is empty, the circuit for the dispenser turns off and the hopper run is unlocked, and it works, at last after many an experimental hour on development.