How to start playing DotA?
I just read the Valve announcement of DotA 2 and in the meanwhile I would like to try DotA.
I have a some questions about it.
- Where could I buy a digital copy of Warcraft III : Frozen Throne?
- Is Frozen Throne enough standalone or should I buy other packages?
- Where can I found a DotA strategy guide good for newbies?
2 Solutions collect form web for “How to start playing DotA?”
- You can buy Warcraft III and the Frozen Throne expansion directly from Blizzard digitally or from an authorized reseller.
- You also need to download the map itself. You can find the Latest Version here: getdota.com/. You’re also going to need a good program to find games.
- There used to be an amazing website for this called dota-allstars.com. Unfortunately it seems that the creator of DotA has some issues…
On an unrelated note, if you like the game play I highly recommend Heroes of Newerth. As a competitive DotA player myself, I find that HoN has the closest mechanics (as compared to LoL) and many of the same heroes from the original game.
Additionally you don’t have the issues of:
- how to find a game on DotA, or
- how to get equal level opponents
1) You probably want Warcraft III Battle Chest. Here is a link to it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Warcraft-III-Battle-Chest-Pc/dp/B00009ECGK
2) No, Frozen Throne is the expansion, you will need the original too.