Can I ever play Undertale again normally?
I got the genocide ending and when I reset my file, my past choices still take effect. I want to start a clean pacifist run. I don’t want to buy the game again, what do I do?
7 Solutions collect form web for “Can I ever play Undertale again normally?”
If you’re running the Steam version of the game, deleting files in the save directory won’t be enough. Steam Cloud will automatically restore those files, and it also keeps a local cache of the files to restore them even if you’re offline. While it’s possible to clear these files out, it’s complicated, and a simpler solution exists on Windows if you have sufficient access rights on your computer.
- Go to your computer’s save location. (Default on Windows: [User folder]\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE)
- Right click the file system_information_962 or system_information_963, depending on if you are on post-genocide black screen, or post-genocide post-soul-sold.
- Go into properties, then security. Remove [Your username] and [administrators] rights to READ the file. Click apply.
- When you next start up the game, it will be as if you had never done a genocide run ever before.
If you’re not playing the Steam version of the game, the simplest method to remove the consequences of completing a genocide run is to fully uninstall and reinstall the game.
If you find where the Undertale save files are located, you can delete them and start fresh. According to this Steam forum post, the save files are in appdata\local\UNDERTALE on Windows, ~/Library/Application Support/com.tobyfox.undertale/ on Mac. There is also a save manager available which one of my friends has used successfully, but since it’s a third party program use it at your own risk: Undertale Save Manager.
Keep in mind that if you’re playing Undertale through Steam, the Steam Cloud saves may attempt to overwrite your save file with the stored version when you try to remove it. Disable it to prevent this from happening.
The best way to clean everything up (including your Steam cloud) would be to use UGR (Undertale Genocide Remover). This is a third-party and, as usual, you should be careful with those. (I personally already used it and it worked fine with no apparent viruses.)
But don’t think that YOU will have a clean conscience though. The app make sure to give you chills 😉
If not a steam downloaded version just go to ~/Library/Application Support/com.tobyfox.u and delete all files. Worked for me!
For me, completing a true pacifist and then true resting worked fine, I just had to do True Pacifist again. I did it by completing the Neutral Pacifist, then reloading my save file, getting the phone call from Undyne, and then completing True Pacifist.
From the Undertale Wiki
Default save locations are as follows:
- Windows: * Windows XP: %SystemDrive%/Documents and Settings/%USERNAME%/Local/Application Data/UNDERTALE * Windows
- Linux: * DRM-free: ~/.config/UNDERTALE_linux * Steam: ~/.config/UNDERTALE_linux_steamver
- Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/com.tobyfox.undertale/
To return to a playable state, the player can enter their save data
folder and either:
- Delete the last directory in the aforementioned save location for your respective system; this removes everything you have done in the
game as if it is your first time playing it
- Delete or rename the files
system_information_963in the aforementioned save
location. This removes any effects of having done the Genocide Route.
system_information_962file is the one that you have
erased the world, and
system_information_963is when you
have sold your soul.
- Uninstall the game and do a fresh reinstall. GOG players using GOG Galaxy may need to disable cloud saving before carrying out any of
these steps. Also, these methods are not sufficient for players of the
Steam version, as the Steam Cloud backs up the acquisition of the
system_information files and restores them if deleted (even if cloud
synchronization is disabled). Players of the Steam version have to
delete their Steam Cloud cache as stated
or render the system_information files unreadable by ”Undertale” by
modifying their security settings under file properties to deny read
- The Undertale Genocide Remover
application automatically removes all Genocide Route files, even those
in Steam, when “ERASE” is pressed.
Easy, reset regularly and do the true pacifist route, the choice you make about giving chara your soul or not to restore the world is the only thing that will twist the story, the twist you should find yourself